Sermon Notes & CG Questions 01.16.22
Dwell Well in the house of God/1 Timothy 4:1-6
combat lies (vss 1-2)
1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons, 2 through the insincerity of liars whose consciences are seared,
Matthew 7:15; 2 Corinthians 10:3–6
combat lies by celebrating truth… (vss 3-4)
[the liars…] 3 who forbid marriage and require abstinence from foods that God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and know the truth. 4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
Ecclesiastes 2:10; Matthew 23:4–12; Colossians 2:20–23
combat lies by celebrating truth every day
4 For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, 5 for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer.
2 Peter 3:17–18
Ephesians 5:20; Romans 11:36; 1 Corinthians 10:31; 2 Thessalonians 2:16–17
NEXT WEEK: 1 Timothy 4:6-12
Questions for the Community
- How do you practice spiritual disciplines? Do you know how to have the right spirit in this?
- “I do” is marriage language. Why is this so fitting for our discussion of this text?
- What specifically is the error of these false teachers? What is the correction Paul gives?
- Have you learned to enjoy good things without worshipping them?
- Are you able to deny pleasures (even perfectly good ones) in the spirit of freedom, grace and worship that honors God and not self? How is that done?
- Describe what is meant by good things being “made holy by the word of God and prayer” (vs. 5)
Plan of Action
- Pay attention to the good gifts of God and how they are talked about around you. Notice how YOU think of them. If there is correction to be made…do it.
- Pray “I do.” each morning and before every meal. Seek to “receive all with thanksgiving”. Report back to your CG any changes you’ve seen, however small they may be.
Week of January 16
Scripture: Romans 12:15; 2 Corinthians 5:17-21
Lord, we weep with those who have experienced racial conflict…
Lord, help us to be people of reconciliation…